Monday, February 11, 2013

Church Softball. Part 1.

I was sitting in this chair of which I currently write this post from, sipping a can of Coke, when my phone began to buzz. I flipped the top up and pressed it to my ear. It was my brother.
"Hey, what are you doing tonight?" He asked
I looked down at my coke and then across the room to the freezer that currently housed the frozen burritos that I intended to make for dinner.
"I don't have any concrete plans" I respond. Having lame plans isn't the same as having no plans. 
"HOW...Would ... you feel about joining a softball league? .... with me?... tonight?"
I could tell from the slow progression of words that he was probably driving and his attention was slightly divided. 
"Yeah man" I exclaimed " I love baseball, but I don't have a glove"
"We'll get you one" He responded.


Its interesting to me to see that this is how I joined the church league, but it is very similar to how I was saved.  I was about nine going on ten or so, and my brother was staying with us in Santa Fe for a few months.  A knock came to my door followed by it creaking open without a response. His face peered through at me laying on the cleared out spot that I slept. "Hey, you wanna come with me tonight? We're going to go play some football?" I didn't care much for football as it were, baseball was really more my sport but I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to spend some time with my busy brother.  In the back seat of a beat up Chevy, I listened to my brother profess a testament of God, His Son, and the Spirit in which He sends. He spoke of sin, and death, and heaven and hell, the cross and redemption. I politely listened to his story with a slight apathy as a child might if he were to partake in a lecture of the history of British Parliament. Distant figures of long ago times didn't seem to mean much to me. That is, until he enlightened me to an aspect of Gods character that should be true, was absolutely irresistible.  "He'll never leave you, or forsake you" he said.  I couldn't pass that up.  We pulled into the tree lot, where they were holding a bible study, and my brother beaming with joy regaled the tale of my coming to Christ.
They began to crack open their bibles and asked If I wanted to read. "I don't have a bible" I said as I looked to my brother. "We'll get you one" he said with a smile.


1 comment:

passover notes

   Exodus 12 Speak to all the congregation of Israel, saying, ‘On the tenth of this month they are each one to take a lamb for themselves,...