Tuesday, May 8, 2012

What, You think you're better then me?

Because I do.


Or at least I am working hard on it. I am trying to see you that way.

Because I think that when we walk around and think ourselves greater than others is when we get into all kinds of trouble.  

Do nothing from  selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. - Philippians 2


Bear one another’s burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself.    -Galatians  6 









I should just end the post right there and satisfy the request of some of my friends to write shorter posts...  That really is the entire point isn't it. 


Its funny in that, aw man I can be such an idiot, kinda way , when we walk around strutting. We want to appear tough. We want to look invulnerable, and one of the ways we do that is with dominance, and imposition. We want to avoid getting hurt so we parade our wit in a way that cuts people down or lays waist to their line of thinking, and in doing so gives us the appearance of superiority.  Maybe we just are out for the glory, to look a certain way in front of that cute person we have had our eyes on trying to get attention.  




 That illusion again. That make believe persona that we has people put up that we have it all together and we are incapable of being hurt.

A pastor that I love and respect was preaching a sermon last sunday and one of the things he mentioned was how in society we all want to be Hard, tough and all that to be respected. Yet, love is something of tenderness. Love is a scene where we put our heart out there knowing full well it can be torn apart, get stomped on.  


That... that sounds like the opposite of everything that our flesh tells us to be. 





Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come forth from God and was going back to God, *got up from supper, and *laid aside His garments; and taking a towel, He girded Himself.  Then He *poured water into the basin, and began to wash the disciples’ feet and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded.
- John 13 




So, here we have the savior of the world, the guy that died for the sins of everyone, who was and is and is to come, who death itself cannot hold, who in revelation has a sharp two edged sword from his mouth...  That guy WHO REALLY IS SOMEBODY.... WHO IS BETTER THAN US...

That guy was washing peoples feet. That guy serves people in example.



I am nowhere near the Glory and might and power of the Messiah, King of kings, Lord of lords....    So where do I get the right to assert my greatness into anything?
Where do I get the gall to proclaim that my way is best, or that others should be like me in whatever regard?


Who among us hasn't looked down on someone for some reason or another...
and by what justification have we done so?  By whose authority?

We often get so stuck on our problems and all the things that others need to do for us...
Or we get indignant that others aren't being as holy and righteous as we want them to be TO us. 


we want them to serve us. 




An argument started among them as to which of them might be the greatest.
But Jesus, knowing what they were thinking in their heart, took a child and stood him by His side,  and said to them, “ Whoever receives this child in My name receives Me, and whoever receives Me receives Him who sent Me; for the one who is least among all of you, this is the one who is great.”








I'm trying to empty myself out. To pour out myself and allow that space to be filled with Godliness you know.   I'm aware of sin and failure and also hope and redemption... but let us not be fooled into thinking that because of that redemption we are beyond the realm of temptation and not prone to stumbling.  Every man man and woman is a choice away from falling.  If we focus on that fact, it might put us all on a more even field in our minds. I'm not invincible. I'm not a hard man. 



I love you people.
You are made in the image of God.

Who am I to tarnish that?
Who are we to slander that?
Who are we to self exalt ourselves above that? 







Seek to be nothing not for greatness or glory, but for the goodness in lifting brethren. In this humility lives I think. 







1 comment:

  1. I see the picture now. What is it?

    Oh, and this was great. And funny. Because, y'know, I got it.

    xo,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete

passover notes

   Exodus 12 Speak to all the congregation of Israel, saying, ‘On the tenth of this month they are each one to take a lamb for themselves,...