Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Fear.


Tonight I went out in the night air and just walked for the first time in a while. I set out of my apartment with no particular destination in mind because I just wanted to go, and do, something. With my ipod in pocket and my boots tied I set out down the stairs of my ghetto neighborhood and descended into the darkness of our poorly lit complex. As I walked I noticed the stars out and the perfect temperature for this time of day. I noticed the trees and rocks and the strange burning plastic smell of my complex. Tonight, for the first time in a long time I wasn't packing a .45, or a .357 or even my tactical .22. I wasn't thinking about a what if scenario, or how I would react in a certain situation. I wasn't recalling the time that I got mugged when I was fourteen in my own neighborhood back in Grand Rapids. I walked forward without an ounce of fear.

Fear.

I used to have a Karate instructor who would repeat over and over that we do not use four letter words. That one fits the mold. Take a second, and think about it. How much of your life is under a fearful subjugation? In this day and age you cannot turn on the television or pick up a news paper without and laundry list of fear proponents:

"The housing marking taking a turn for the worse!!!"

"Senate  Democrats blame republicans for ruining the economy; Reps say "NO, YOU!!!""

"Possible threat of Iranian nuke causes surrounding nations to step up action"

"Think your kids are safe at school, think again: we'll tell you why at 11"

"Think your kids are safe at home, think again: we'll tell you how tiny bacteria found only in your house is trying to kill you."

"What if the coca cola company never decides to bring back Surge"

"What if I lose my Job"

" What if I get sick, I don't have insurance and I can't afford it"

" Adam Sandler makes another movie like "funny people""

Here's one...
"What if they find out my sins."

"What if they don't like the real me"

You get the point some big fears, some little ones. We live in a world of alarmist. Everything can kill you, and everyone is is out to get you. That is what is perpetuated by the media, our society, ourselves.
I don't know if its just to sell stocks or duct tape and bottled water or what. The reality is that this isn't a way to live. What does it profit? This subject is something that God has been showing to me over and over again. Worrying about things leads to insanity and heart problems. It causes sleepless nights and tired days. Why worry about the things that I cannot change? The big things, the ones out of my control. I don't have communication with attack subs. No, I can't directly tell the government to stop trying to spy on me through my computer. Why is there so much fear? What is fear?

Fear is a reaction to a potential loss.
Loss is measured in what can be taken from you.

So where then,  is freedom?

The Bible talks about fear, and worry and how it doesn't work well. An old pastor used to say its like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but you don't go anywhere.

"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful." John 14:27

 There you have it. The entire thrust of this post. Fear not. Stop being afraid of things that you shouldn't be afraid of. Fear is a reaction to a potential loss, and loss is what can be taken from you...  I ask again... what is freedom?


Ironically, the answer is surrender.  Surrender of control to God is the most liberating thing in the world. What can you lose having given everything over to him? What can be taken from you, when you have given everything to take?

"Whoever seeks to keep his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it" -The Messiah. The Savoir of the World. Luke 17:33


It comes back to trusting God enough to handle whatever is going on. Be it a job, a significant other, the country, bills, justice, injustice, food, shelter, love... LOVE, peace, acceptance, what ever  the case...

...are you afraid of what will happen if you don't have control?
I think we should be afraid of what happens if we keep it.

Fear not.... for he is with us.


1 comment:

  1. I've heard that rocking chair quote. This was really good. You should've started a blog ages ago.

    ReplyDelete

passover notes

   Exodus 12 Speak to all the congregation of Israel, saying, ‘On the tenth of this month they are each one to take a lamb for themselves,...